This is my all time favorite dough for cookie cutter cookies. I’ve removed the baking soda, baking powder and reduced the sugar for a tender yet firm texture that holds its shape in the oven perfectly. Please be aware that this cookie has less sugar assuming that it will be paired with icing or jam. Serves: 36 (2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Granulated Sugar
3 cups AP Flour
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Almond Extract
Preheat oven to 375º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
1. Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
2. Stir in flour, salt, vanilla and almond extract.
3. For Rolled Cookies: Divide dough in half. Roll each half ¼-1/2” thick between two sheets of parchment paper. Put into freezer. Repeat with the other half of dough. Leave in freezer for approximately 10 minutes. Once firm, remove, cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet.
4. For Drop Cookies: Scoop or create balls between palms. Place on cookie sheet and freeze for 12-15 minutes before baking.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned at the bottom. The goal is to not let the top or edges brown at all.
For icing, go to Cookie Icing recipe.